The history behind Talabgaon Castle began in the early 18th century when Thakur Sardul Singh Kupawat Rathore of Ramasari ( Asop ) , Jodhpur came to visit his relatives of Samodhin Jaipur with his army and servants. After staying in Jaipur with his relatives for several months war broke out between the States of Jaipur and Jodhpur over the much sought after Sambhar Lake which was rich in salt deposits. As they had eaten “the salt” of Jaipur the code of honor among Rajput’s would demand that they join the Jaipur side in the war and uphold this honorary tradition by fighting along side them. However, doing so would compromise his position in the Jodhpur Court. In order to maintain his great loyalty he first sought approval to fight from Maharaja of Jodhpur and it was granted. As fate would have it the war was won by Jaipur and in honor of the true valor and loyalty shown by Thakur Sardul Singh ji Rathore and his men, the “Jagir” or Thikana (State) of Talabgaon, and its adjoining villages, were bestowed upon him to rule over. Talabgaon Castle which stands today was built in 1900 by Thakur Vijay Singh ji Rathore, a direct decedent, and remains in the family today. Talabgaon is the only Jagir of Kupawat Rathors in the erstwhile State of Jaipur Rajputana, India.
Talabgaon Castle is a living fort occupied by our family for over 200 years. We have always wanted to share the experience of a bygone era with the guests of Talabgaon. As Rajputs we have a proud history as fearless warriors who lived by a strict code of honor with a reputation for great hospitality. Atithi Devo Bhavah (guest is god) is a Rajput and a hindu tradition that we strive to uphold.
Talabgaon Castle was built in 1818 in the Rapjput style of architecture. Rajput Rulers had a keen sense of beauty in Art and Architecture which is seen in the artistic excellence of their temples, forts and palaces. Heritage luxury in the palm of nature.